WHAT IS SMO? BEGINNER’S GUIDE To SMO
The two most effective digital marketing strategies are SEO or Search Engine Optimisation and Social Media Optimisation. It is very important to understand that online marketing is mainly about creating awareness and visibility. Most of the times, people will find your business website in the following ways:
- Search engine results
- Recommendation from another website or another person.
- Word of mouth.
One of the most effective ways of increasing traffic to your website is SMO. Social Media Optimisation is the process of increasing awareness of your brand by using different social media platforms. The main objective is to create viral publicity in order to reach more people at a time. This aspect of optimization increases online reputation through communities – not just Twitter and Facebook, but also different forums, blogs and anywhere your brand is referred or socially linked.
WHY YOU NEED SMO?
In the recent past, Google secretly launched a complete overhaul of their search algorithm. The latest algorithm completely changes the procedure by which Google interprets search terms. Social mentions and shares are now more important in calculating ranks. So, the focus immediately shifts to SMO. The latest search algorithms value quality content which is brief, easy to understand, authoritative and indeed shareable. So, the more your content is shared across various social media platforms, the more it will contribute to improving your Google rankings.
Social shares or mentions no doubt carry a lot more weight. The primary factor behind it is that they are coming from somewhere else. So, understanding the importance of SMO is not rocket science. It is very simple, having huge numbers of links to your website scattered across various social media platforms is very healthy and effective. You should mainly focus on engaging with a large volume of social audiences, posting your contents and contributing to related conversations.
HOW TO START SMO? Start off Strong
- Content – Content is a gold mine when it comes to making your site more popular. The more you tell about yourself, the more will people understand you. The same thing happens with Google, it gives more recognition to contents. Make sure the content is precise and easy to understand.
- Images and Videos – The visual impact is far superior. Using catchy images and videos attract more views. Unique images and videos catch a lot of attention and they are more likely to get shared. Social sharing carries a lot of weight and is well valued by Google.
- Tags – Tagging is a unique feature that allows tagging more people. You should always try to tag more and more people. Once someone gets tagged, they are instantly notified. Also, make sure pages included a list of relevant tags. Tag content travels faster.
- Increase Linkability – In order to optimize a website for social media, linkability plays an important role. Linkability of keywords should be increased. There are many ways to increase linkability. The best way is by adding a blog. Blog contents are highly valued by Google.
- Use Permalinks – When you are blogging, permalinks capture the most important keywords in the URL titles that various search engines look for. Adding a link on the bottom of your blog also allows the user to copy and share.
- Know Your Audience- Life revolves around the internet, however, there is always going to be a specific audience you can appeal to, while the others you can’t appeal to. Listen to who is engaging with you and know your audience.
- Stay Fresh – In the fast-changing world, there is no scope for monotonous. Social Media is also changing and morphing every minute. Stay updated, regularly update your posts and always aim to bring fresh contents.
SEO VS SMO: What’s the Difference?
SEO is the process that is mainly used to improve the rankings of a particular website in the leading search engines such as Google, Yahoo, Bing etc. It is essential to rank among the top pages of the leading search engines. People do not click through pages after pages to get access to something. They usually access the websites which come on the first few pages of search results. SEO mainly targets specific keywords. The keywords are determined by various factors like how a search engine works, what people usually type in the search engines.
SMO, on the other hand, use social media platforms to generate more traffic to a website. SMO utilizes RSS feeds, video and blogging sites, social networking sites like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, Vine, Google+, etc. Optimisation of social media on a website should be done in such a way that the content from the website can be easily accessible and shareable on various social media platforms. This can be accomplished by adding social media buttons on the website. Learn more about Search Engine Optimization right here.
the best way to boost your business
There are many social media networking sites like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Vine, Tumblr, etc. Firstly, create a social page and link your website. Regularly post contents, videos, and images. You should focus on increasing your subscribers and followers. Supply unique and regular posts in order to engage your followers. Make the full use of features such as tags in order to increase the popularity of your posts. Wait no more! Start your social media journey from now. And remember – when in doubt, contact an SMO Expert!