What is SEO? Basics for Beginners
The world has reached a tipping point with the advent of digitization. The internet has turned out to be an essential part of every individual’s life. In this fast-moving world, market demands are changing at a rapid pace. Consumers, now search the internet even before buying their regular grocery items.
So, an up to date marketing strategy is a must for every business house to improve their sales figure. Hence, an online presence in this digital world is a must for every both small and big corporate sector. It is in such a scenario digital marketing can be of immense help. SEO, or Search Engine Optimization, is one of the most effective tools for digital marketing.
SEO is the process of highlighting a website in a search engine’s results page. The Search Engine Results Page displays organic searches for web links. In short, it is the process of designing a website so that it becomes easy to understand for the search engines. The main focus of search engine optimization is to improve the visibility of a website. In particular, they focus on the organic listings of a particular search engine. The process involves both creative and technical skills of an SEO professional. The primary goal is to improve search ranks and drive in more traffic. Sometimes these methods develop awareness in search engines about particular topics. This is especially true for niche markets.
In this age of innovation, going digital is the only thing that makes any sense. Advertising in local newspapers and on television channels are almost obsolete. This is not to say that a nifty press release doesn’t do any good, but it is best if it is online. Digital marketing is the most effective alternative to traditional marketing techniques. Picture this – at any moment in time, millions of potential clients are online. They are either scrolling though the Facebook feed, or posting something on Instagram. Why miss out on so many potential leads? It’s an absolute gold-mine! Get in front of all these people and start selling right now.
Why Does Any Website Need to do SEO?
Generating traffic for a website is a quite difficult task during the early stages. But, if one lands up on the first page of the major search engines, like Google, Yahoo, and Bing! – the task becomes easier. Social media sites like Facebook and Google+ can help one generate traffic, true. But search engines are still the primary source of organic traffic for any website.
This law holds true irrespective of the category of website. It doesn’t matter whether one is providing services, content, products, or job. To sell, it is necessary for people to see the product and generating website traffic is a must. So, for achieving this purpose, SEO is an absolute necessity.
The most interesting part is that the search engines generate targeted traffic. In other words, they only show what people are looking for. So, what happens if search engines cannot find a particular website? Or if they cannot add the content of that website to their databases? It’s a waste of an incredible opportunity to drive traffic to that particular website. So, you should stop wasting time fooling around, and contact a professional SEO company as soon as possible.
The Top SEO Metrics and how they matter
A high ranking in the top search engines of the world, such as Google, Yahoo, and Bing! is of sheer necessity to create and build up a good brand name. Be careful, though – every search engine uses different ranking factors. Use Digital Marketing and superb content to reel in more visitors and watch the numbers grow. It is in this situation, that a professional SEO company can be of immense help.
There are some basic factors that determine the ranking in a search engine. The biggest metrics are:
- The Quality of the Content: Have you noticed how people who talk a lot are easier to talk to? Well, search engines think so too. So, the better you can speak about what you have to say, the more search engines trust you. It does not have to be a very long piece of written content. As long as it is well written, it works fine.
- Word Count: Alright, alright, size DOES matter. But not in the way people usually think. There should be a lower limit to the word count depending on the type of content. But there is no point in being too aggressive with the words. Keep it healthy or search engines penalize the content.
- Backlinks: This the way by which the other sites have link back to the original content. This is not only applicable to blogs and articles, but all web pages in general. The quality of the backlink is a big deal in SEO.
- Keyword Density: Keywords are terms or phrases that people type in to search for stuff. Keywords are good – they point the search results to your page. Long-tail keywords are even better. In fact, the longer the keywords, the better. But stuffing them in is a big no-no. It can lead the website to get blocked, pronto.
How to Build an SEO Friendly Website?
- Make Your Website Rich in Relevant Content: You must be familiar with the phrase – “content is the king”. Content relevant to products or services is relevant to SEO A site isn’t a real site until it is rich in attention-grabbing content. But proper research on popular keywords is also necessary. Content without a purpose is evil content.
- Use Eye-Catching Images: Images play a critical role during Search Engine Optimization. Use of relevant and eye-catching images can boost your website ranking to a great extent. But, you must remember to optimize the images along with the texts. Optimized images make a website load faster. This, in turn, improves the rank of the website. The ideal image size is around 30 Kb to 100 Kb and the resolution should be of 72 dpi. Besides this, you must also add alt texts and should mention the keyword there at least once.
- Form A Short and Compact URL: Your website has to be easy to remember. Otherwise, it won’t rank high even if all the other parameters are good. The reason behind this is simple – the more complicated the name is, the fewer people will actually visit. A short and compact URL is best for any website. The basic concept is that an URL should always determine what the contents of the page are.
- Distribute the Keywords: Choose the keywords for the content wisely. Keywords are a necessity for optimizing the website’s content. But, you must not stuff the keywords. Instead, make sure to distribute the keywords evenly throughout the content. Include keywords in the HTML file in title tag, H1 tags, Meta descriptions, Meta title, H2 tags, H3 tags, and URL’s. Also, don’t forget to add them into the website’s slogan, navigation, title, and footer links. Use alt texts and link attribute texts as much as possible, too.
- Use Effective Link Building Strategy: Link building is one of the most effective SEO techniques. The basic agenda behind link building is to link other relevant websites to your website. Acquiring links with keywords in anchor texts would help you to rank high. This is, of course, in a search engine’s organic results page related to that specific keyword. Organic, whitehat, and blackhat links are the three basic types of links. Avoid blackhat links at all costs.
- Stop Using Too Much of Flash Elements: No one likes too many popups. Using too many flash elements can be a very distracting affair for your visitors. Also, it becomes difficult for the search engines to rank a website with flash content. The main reason is that flash elements are often devalued by the search engines. Besides, for a good video link, it is much better to use embedded YouTube videos.
The Golden Rules of Search Engine Optimization
Search Engine Optimization is one of the most effective ways of converting visitors into clients. But, you must keep in mind not to overdo any of the above-mentioned techniques. For example, using irrelevant keywords in your content can bring down the ranking. Using too many keywords can bring you down instead of boosting you. Search engine giants, such as Google and Yahoo, have even introduced over-optimization penalty. Their advanced algorithms scan all websites. They penalize websites having too many keywords stuffed in a single page. So, when it comes to optimization, always try to keep simple. You can even consult a reputed SEO company to take your website to the next level.